Labor Relations and Public Arbitrator, Factfinder, Mediator (full time since 1976)
Dispute Resolution Experience
I have acted as Labor Relations Grievance/Discipline Arbitrator in most major industries, including oil, aerospace, trucking, health services, mining, airlines, chemical, rubber, restaurant, telephone, manufacturing, and in every governmental level, including federal agencies, U.S. Postal Service, school and special districts, cities, counties, higher education, and state government. I have been a negotiations Impasse Mediator, Factfinder and Interest Arbitrator in the public sector, including police, fire, schools, federal and postal agencies, and state government and higher education. I act as Hearing Officer/Examiner and Commissioner in LA City/County, LA Police Commission, and various Civil Service Commissions. I am also a Public and Consumer Arbitrator in various consumer disputes panels such as auto, securities, attorney fee disputes, rent control, police permits, alarm revocations, and parking enforcement appeals.
All issues in both ‘rights’ (grievance) and ‘interest’ (impasse), discipline/discharge, contract interpretation, safety, medical, wages, leaves of absence, transfers, layoffs and reductions-in-force, union agency fee disputes, employee benefits, pensions, class size, attendance, absence, etc. ‘Public’ issues include securities, attorney fee, rent control, automobile ‘lemon law’.
Permanent Labor Relations Panels:
US Federal Mediation & Conciliation Service; National Mediation Board; US Postal Service, American Arbitration Association, California State Mediation & Conciliation Service; California Public Employment Relations Board, LA City & County Civil Service, Employees Relations and Police Board of Rights panels. On Arbitration/Factfinder rosters of 11 states/local agencies including Nevada, Washington, Kansas, Phoenix, Montana, Hawaii, Anchorage, etc. I am named in over 50 collective bargaining agreements as a sole arbitrator or member of an arbitration panel (air pollution district, supermarket, hotels, aerospace, trucking, paper, telephone, medical, hospitals, Las Vegas Hotels, Federal agencies (Social Security and Federal Aviation Administration), state government, universities, cities, counties, schools and special districts). I have arbitrated in every major industry and level of government in over 25 years of full time experience.
Other Relevant Information
- Available to travel throughout the country, especially western U.S.
- Fee Schedule: $1050 per day (charged per ½ day for hearings and deliberations/writing, minimum charge: one day) or as negotiated.
- Cancellation Policy: One day per diem ($1050) for less than three weeks notice of any cancellation/postponement.
- Travel Charges: I charge for travel reimbursement over 100 miles from nearest office. Otherwise no charge (Offices are at Torrance in Southern California and Oakland in Northern California).
Title of Position and Dates:
- Labor Arbitrator/Factfinder/Mediator and Instructor in Labor Relations (1976-present)
- Administrator, Institute of Industrial Relations, UCLA (1970-76)
- Chief, Personnel & Employee Relations (LA County Dept. of Social Services) (1968-70)
- Personnel & Employee Relations Analyst; Personnel Administrator (LA County) (1961-68)
- Instructor, Supervision and Management Courses, LA Community Colleges (1963-68)
- Adjunct Professor/Instructor, UCLA Extension and Cal State, Dominguez Hills (1978-83)
- Public Arbitrator, National Association of Securities Dealers; LA County Bar Association, FORD Motors Consumer Panel, Better Business Bureau Dispute Panel, National Futures Association, New York Stock Exchange, American Stock Exchange, Pacific Stock Exchange and other consumer arbitration programs
- Administer Dispute Resolution program for Publishers Marketing Association (3500 members) (1985-present)
Education & Professional Associations
- MBA (Industrial Relations) and BS (Letters and Sciences), UCLA (1955-61)
- Post-Graduate Courses in Dispute Resolution, Pension Administration, Employee Benefits, Securities Dispute Resolution (1977-1999)
- Lifetime Teaching Credential in California Community Colleges
- Member, National Academy of Arbitrators, IRRA, Publishers Marketing Association, American Arbitration Association, International Society of Prosthetics & Orthotics
- Member, Securities Arbitration Panels (NASD, NYSE, PSE, NFA)
- Member of Consumer Arbitration Panels: National Association of Securities Dealers, National Center for Dispute Settlement, Better Business Bureau, Ford Motors Arbitration Panel
- Member of the Boards of South Bay Dispute Resolution Center, South Bay Vocational Center, American Board for Certification of Orthotics and Prosthetics, Amputee Coalition of America, Publishers Marketing Association
- Formerly, Member of various Civil Service, Employee Relations Boards (Yolo, Torrance, San Diego County)
- Formerly, Member of Boards of Pacific Association of Secondary Colleges Accrediting Association; St. Herman’s Theological Seminary, Amputee Coalition of America
Since 2000, I have developed an Alternative Dispute Resolution program for the Publishers Marketing Association (3600 members) and the American Board for Certification of Orthotists and Prosthetists (4000 members). I assist in administering these programs. I have written and had published approximately ten articles on dispute resolution.